Monday, October 1, 2012


Birthday Analogies Atop Ferris Wheels

I said to her; "On this day, I would abandon all dieting rules and regulations and take you out for ice cream. I would deliberately get my favorite flavor, Butter Pecan, on the tip of your nose just so I could kiss it off. Then, I would take you to the neighborhood amusement park. A significant choice since all my declarations of affection for you did nothing more than make you laugh. We would ride the Ferris Wheel and, at the apex of the ride, I would tell you to look down at the beautiful  landscape below us, and that its aesthetically alluring composition that came together in the most impressive manner of man and nature's collaborative symphony, was a personification of your facial features. Features that I stared at for a disturbing length of time."

She smirked in between bites of cotton candy and replied; "You are such a shallow individual. Would your on-again-off-again fixation on someone you've never met ever come to fruition if I wasn't this attractive?"

"Maybe not," I replied, "but I have no one to blame for that but you." The Ferris Wheel ride came to an end. We returned to earth from the clouds, unfastened our seat belts, and headed for the park's exit. 

We shared a hug. "I wish you the happiest of birthdays," I said. "Thank you. Now I have to catch a flight to be with my boyfriend who is waiting for me. Maybe one day we'll meet in an actual tangible reality where you can see the sides of my eyes wrinkle in an appreciative smile for your efforts" she replied.

With that, she hopped into the city's reliable public transportation system, and disappeared over the late afternoon horizon. It was then I woke up, headed to my computer, and wrote every word that preceded exactly where I stop now.